Senior GIS Consultant
Geospatial Insight was established in 2012 by a number of highly experienced experts in the Geospatial market with a vision to harness the full potential of earth observation in order to answer some of the toughest questions relating to the when’s, where’s and how much, that business’ face on a daily basis. By deriving real-world, actionable intelligence from remotely sensed data, we provide our clients with the timely and vital information that they need to make better business decisions.
To further develop our market disrupting products and services, Geospatial Insight are looking to strengthen the team by recruiting the brightest minds in the Earth Observation and Technology sectors. By joining Geospatial Insight, you will be greeted by a working environment which fosters innovation and skill development, enabling you to position yourself at the cutting edge in your field.
Whilst we are proud to offer benefits such as a bonus scheme, flexible working, ride to work scheme, remote working allowances and team building days. We take particular pride in cultivating a technically gifted, forward-thinking and rewarded workforce through collaboration with innovative Universities and by supporting staff training.
As a Senior GIS Consultant at Geospatial Insight, you will work with cutting edge methodologies applied to the latest in Earth Observation data to extract, interpret and deliver actionable business insights. Working within the Earth Observation team and alongside our software developers and sales team, your role will be to support all aspects of our rapidly growing product portfolio. You will do this by applying your theoretical expertise and hands on experience to help shape and construct our market-disrupting products and services.
- Image / Data acquisition, cleansing and processing.
- A range of EO specific tasks ranging from generating land cover classifications to catastrophe mapping.
- Provision of ideas and expert insight during early product development.
- Providing input and support to the sales team.
- Provide technical support to the bidding process.
- Write procedures, methods, workflow documentation and define standard operating procedures.
- Initiate, develop and integrate flow lines which result in product efficiencies.
- Identify and ensure understanding of new cutting-edge technological developments.
- Experience of translating customer/internal needs in to technical requirements and developing these into business solutions.
- Collaborating with both UK and International partners.
You will have a background in GIS and Remote Sensing with at least five year’s commercial experience and be educated to at least degree level in a relevant subject (GIS, Remote Sensing, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Ecology). Applications from those with significant research experience, such as PhDs, are particularly encouraged. Key requirements for the role are:
- Strong academic and/or commercial background in the application of EO methodologies in R&D and demonstrable experience in working with and processing both optical and radar satellite imagery.
- A strong technical background, with a keen interest in developing new methodologies to solve complex spatial problems.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of GIS and remote sensing techniques and software such as ERDAS IMAGINE, ArcGIS, QGIS, eCognition etc.
- Ability to understand and implement technical processes effectively and efficiently.
- A good understanding of statistical analysis techniques preferable.
- A knowledge of cloud based remote sensing, GIS tools and applications.
- Practical knowledge of coding skills, python etc with an understanding of databases and SQL queries.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, is essential.
- Excellent report writing and documentation skills.
- Microsoft Office, in particular Word and Excel.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Location: Coleshill, Birmingham